How do you do Twixmas?

So, Christmas Day done, Boxing Day done and now we are into that bit in the middle. Those strange few days when you’re probably still off work, children are off school, the fridge still contains a random selection of leftovers and it’s too soon to start prepping the Hogmanay celebrations. 

If you’re anything like me you’re probably wondering what to do with yourself in these odd betwixt and between days. 

I’m rubbish at taking downtime, I find the change in pace from busy working days at FCSS really hard to adjust too, and I’m constantly thinking of things I could do. 

I see lots of posts about PJ days spent watching old movies cosy on the sofa but the TV sends me to sleep, and I know this would just feel like a wasted day to me. 

I read about sales shopping days but I’m trying to be less consumerist and don’t want to spend a day in crowded shops spending my hard earned money on things I’ll barely wear/use. 

I could use the time to catch up on some work…I’ve got a tender bid to write and could get ahead of the game but, after a year where I’ve barely managed to take any time off, I’m trying really hard to not work on these holiday days. 

I’ve even thought about making a start on redecorating one of our bathrooms and/or possibly a bedroom but I don’t know if I could get everything I need and get it finished before we have guests at New Year. 

So here’s my plan so far:

- Firstly try not to plan too much, so much of my life is dictated by deadlines, to do lists and my outlook calendar, and I’m determined not to become that person who has a schedule for the holidays.

- Walk my dogs. Getting out and about with Scout and Toby is one of my favourite ever ways to relax, I feel my shoulders drop and, wherever we go, I know I’ll be smiling the whole way. 

- No actual work work but perhaps a mulling over of personal and professional goals for the year ahead.

- Finding some recipes and having a play about with our new air fryer. 

- And finally, I’ll try to go with the flow, relax with the family and just enjoy these rare few days off.

Whatever you choose to do this Twixmas I hope you have your own kind of fun. 


Comments

Popular Posts