The Power of Diffuse Thinking

Diffuse thinking...it’s the super power that lies within us all yet its benefits are often ignored and, in a world where we are encouraged to be on the go all the time, too few of us allow our brains the time to just wander.

I am an advocate of diffuse thinking, but I don’t always permit myself enough of this creative time and I rarely intentionally set my diffuse thoughts a challenge.

I love my job, we’ve got so many exciting projects and there’s always something to do...planning, correspondence, meetings, and reports. The list is never ending, and downtime can feel like a bit of a cheat. And I’ve got a busy home and family life and a pair of crazy dogs to keep exercised and cared for too. So busy is probably an understatement.

But taking a break from focussed thinking and activity is vital in maintaining productivity, enthusiasm, and energy. It’s a survival instinct that is there in all of us, sometimes it just needs to be nurtured a little.

What exactly is it and how can you plan for it to happen?

Diffuse thinking, aka day dream mode, is when our minds wander, giving our subconscious the opportunity to get creative, offer solutions and help us see the bigger picture.

Your brain enters diffuse mode when you stop focussing and take a break. Often some physical activity that doesn’t require too much serious concentration can help, things like walking, running, exercise…even hoovering or raking up the leaves in your garden. For some people listening to music helps or perhaps a relaxed bath. The period when you are winding down for a sleep is often a time when your brain will meander into diffuse mode too.

Use diffuse to your advantage

There are some recognised techniques you can use to maximise the benefits of diffuse thinking. You could try the Pomodoro Technique, created by Francesco Cirillo, where you really focus and work on a task for 25 minutes then you take a 5 minute break. You switch off your focussed thinking and you go make a cuppa, peg out your laundry, pet the dog, whatever works for you as long as you de-focus. Every 4 pomodoros (25 minute slots) you take a longer break, maybe half an hour, where your brain gets to rest and process or file away the new information it has taken in.

You can also try posing your brain a question, ideally just before you go to bed, or go for a walk or whatever your personal switch off activity is. Ask the question then don’t intentionally think about it, just let your mind wander while your sub conscious comes up with the answer to your question or the idea you have been looking for.

Protected time

So, this weekend I’ll be running with my dogs, and switching off my focussed thoughts but before I do that, I’ll be asking my brain a question and giving my subconscious mind something to toy with whilst I try to keep up with the hairballs and avoid falling flat on my face on the muddy trails.

Who knows perhaps by Monday I’ll have had a eureka moment and come up with a solution to how we solve the recruitment challenges facing Scotland’s childcare sector…or perhaps that’s a stretch too far for the imagination!

Take a break

Remember to take the breaks you need. You’ll be a stronger, more effective, leader and you’ll be setting the right example to your people, helping build a resilient team, ready for growth.

Comments

Popular Posts